The Sofia Quintero Art and Cultural Center seeking someone that has a passion for Latin cuisine and the community! The Culinary Artist will plan and host cooking classes, manage culinary menus and events as well as continue community outreach. We have a great foundation but love new ideas and recipes.
Is SQACC a good fit for you? SQACC works to preserve and share the Latino culture and serve community members through art, cuisine, and agriculture. We are a 6-member team, and we are responsible for 2 commercial buildings, 2 residential homes and 5 acres of land. Outside of our primary roles, we all help each other in multiple areas of the center. We like to brainstorm, share ideas, talk and laugh and multi-task. We have an open office set up, no cubicles or closed areas with lots of artwork and plants around. Nana’s Kitchen was part of a major renovation, located in the Event Center and offers a great way to share and serve through food.
• A great cook, especially in Latin cuisine!
• Experience as a Chef and working in a commercial kitchen. Please note that we are not a restaurant, and the day-to-day duties and pace are different
• ServSafe Certified as a Food Handler and Manager. We recommend that all applicants be certified as a ServSafe Food Handler. If you are not certified as a ServSafe Manager, you will receive the opportunity to become certified within 30 days to retain employment. After the probationary period has ended, you may be reimbursed (up to $200) for the expense of the ServSafe Manager course and exam
• Bilingual skills are preferred
• Experience teaching cooking classes is a plus
• Experience cooking for a variety of group sizes and menu styles
• Strong communication and adaptability working with different age groups and volunteers as well as attention to detail
• Teach, prepare, and shop for culinary classes offered to a variety of age groups focusing on Latin cuisine as well as healthy eating. We encourage menu’s showcasing a variety of Latin countries, as well as cooking styles, safety outlines, substitutions
• Work with other team members on collaborative programs such as the Arts-n-Eats camp, product sales, the summer mentoring program
• Coordinate kitchen renters – upholding kitchen standards, onboarding process, scheduling, leases, etc.
• Maintain and meet the policies and procedures required by the Lucas County Health Department and any other license/certifications
• Utilize and cook with produce from SQACC Gardens. Individual may need to assist the Agricultural team in produce maintenance (when applicable)
• Responsible for the upkeep, layout and sanitation of the kitchen and other spaces as well as monitor and order inventory. Identify any malfunction in equipment
• Plan and prepare creative recipes and meals for SQACC events as well as catering for private rentals. The food and menus are a large part of our fundraisers and events
• Administrative Duties such as attending staff meetings, filing receipts, assist in preparing the kitchen budget, answering phones/questions, keeping the office clean and orderly
• Attend and help with SQACC and/or community events
• Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
• $17.00 per hour
• Part time with a possibility of becoming Full time
• Flexible on the work schedule Monday-Friday
• Weekend and nights may be needed for special events (prior notice would be given)
Please submit a cover letter, resume and any questions to email@example.com. Applications will be received until the position has been filled.