September 15th, 2022: In recognition of Hispanic Heritage Month, which runs through mid-October, The University of Toledo Office of Multicultural Student Success and the Global Latinx Student Union are celebrating Hispanic culture and heritage with several events including a watch party to honor the student organization’s 50th anniversary during the University’s annual Homecoming parade Saturday, Oct. 1st at 9:30 a.m. in front of University Hall on Bancroft Street, the Global Latinx Student Union’s watch party also will honor UToledo’s sesquicentennial.
“There are some great events lined up to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month,” said Aleiah Jones, associate director of the Office of Multicultural Student Success. “We are especially excited to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Latinx student organization now known as the Global Latinx Student Union. It will be a lot of fun to welcome alumni and students to campus during Homecoming to watch the parade with us. The library has also included a display of artifacts from the organization throughout the years.”
Campus events and activities planned for Hispanic Heritage Month include:
- Tuesday, Sept. 20 — Loteria Night, at 7 p.m. in Thompson Student Union Room 2500.
- Thursday, Sept. 29 — 30th Richard M. Summers Memorial Lecture at 6 p.m. in the McQuade Law Auditorium, featuring Dr. Lorgia García Peña
- Thursday, Oct. 6 — Smashing Machismo event from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Thompson Student Union Room 2500; will include making piñatas and learning about sexism within Latinx cultures and how we can “smash” them.
- Tuesday, Oct. 11 —NAMI Greater Toledo 7th Annual Latino Leadership Forum from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Sofia Quintero Art and Cultural Center, 1222 Broadway Street in Toledo. The theme is “Recovering in the Messiness of Life in the Latino Community and How to Navigate the Mental Health System.”
- Thursday, Oct. 13 — 33rd annual Diamante Awards at 6 p.m. at Bowling Green State University’s Bowen-Thompson Student Union Lenhart Grand Ballroom.
Also in celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month, Latin American Studies has a free online library of documentaries and films available through https://utoledo.kanopy.com/category/622
For more information on Hispanic Heritage Month’s campus activities visit https://invonet.utoledo.edu/events