Owens Community College will award 349 associate degrees Friday, December 16 at the 42nd Fall Commencement ceremonies at the Center for Fine and Performing Arts Theatre on the Toledo-area Campus in Perrysburg.
Of the graduating class, 101 will graduate with their nursing degrees and be pinned in the same ceremony. The nursing graduation and pinning ceremony previously were separate events. In combining the graduation and pinning, the occasion will mark the passing of the student nurse role to the practice role.
The nurse pinning is a time-honored nursing school tradition, dating back to 1860 by Florence Nightingale, who is considered the founder of modern nursing. The nurses will recite the Florence Nightingale pledge in the ceremony, which will be held at 3 p.m. and conclude the Commencement ceremonies.
A total of 50 students from the Findlay-area Campus will join the Toledo-area Campus graduates for the Commencement ceremonies scheduled at 9 a.m. for the School of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics; and 12 p.m. for the School of Business, Hospitality Management and Public Safety, School of Liberal Arts and the Health Professions graduates from the School of Nursing and Health Professions.
The graduating class features 94 students graduating with honors (3.5 grade-point average and above) as well as outstanding academic program graduates. All will be recognized at the ceremony.
This year’s Outstanding Graduates are:
- Gerald Bazer Outstanding Arts and Sciences Graduate: Mikaila Sweeney, Psychology Concentration, Toledo
- Outstanding Graduate in Business Technology: Kassidy Scott, Business Technologies Transfer Pathway, Toledo
- Outstanding Graduate in Criminal Justice: Hope Escalera, Criminal Justice Transfer Pathway, Toledo
- Peggy Bensman Award: Krystle Posey, Registered Nurse Program, Maumee
- Barbara Rood Student Choice Award: Macie Zeller, Registered Nurse Program, Toledo
- Barbara Rood Student Choice Award: Phenique Lipkins, Associate Degree Nursing Progression, Toledo
- Barbara Rood Student Choice Award: Caitlyn Fuller, Registered Nurse Program, Holland
- Barbara Rood Student Choice Award: Aaron Lentz, Registered Nurse Program, Waynesfield